Committed to quality service and family values for over a century.
Family owned and operated since 1917, Altmeyer Funeral Homes & Crematory has a strong sense of identity and direction for the future.
Founded by James P. Altmeyer, the first location was at 1105 Chapline Street in Wheeling, West Virginia. Five years later, the funeral home moved to 1400 Eoff Street where we still operate out of today. Three of James’ sons joined him in the family business: Harry, George and Jack.
In 1947, the second location was opened at 214 Marshall Street in McMechen, West Virginia. And in 1955, two years after James’ death, Altmeyer expanded to a third location at 154 Kruger Street in Elm Grove.
Jack’s two sons John David and James E. Altmeyer, Sr. continued the legacy their grandfather created of selfless service.
Altmeyer Funeral Homes & Crematory acquired Kirby-Vance Funeral Home of McMechen and Lutes Funeral Home in Moundsville in 1991. In 1994, Beisweinger Funeral Home in South Wheeling was purchased and renamed the Altmeyer Funeral Home – South Wheeling.
Since James E. Altmeyer, Jr. joined his father the organization has continued to grow. Serving families in the Ohio valley along with several locations in Virginia, West Virginia and Florida. There are now sixteen funeral homes or affiliated funeral homes offering families the same dedication, compassion and professionalism since 1917.